Thursday, December 12, 2013

Epipremnum Aureum, Pothos - Propagating

Understanding your Pothos



We tried planting it and it beautify our house and now we want more of it.

As mention Pothos is a strong and durable plant and some comments from the net is this type of plant can survive better when is left unattended, duration was not specify so i decided to try out. I put my Pothos outside the walkway where they can get their supply from the natural source and the plant really shown strong will to survive. Such a strong plant propagating it will be very easy.

Initially when I started playing with Pothos, I know nuts about it all I know is this plant suitable for newbie. Since I'm new to garden i just start with this. Looking thru the website, YouTube and some random forum, I somehow know how to clone but still is full of doubt so I try it out myself.

Before we propagate it, we need to know some of the basic plant parts before you can properly locate where to cut.

Illustration of Pothos parts
Propagating

when I was researching on the ways and method to clone Pothos, I found 2 version. Refer to the photo above.

I have made indication on the photo the basic component of Pothos part and location to cut. The 2 version found in the net is cutting from point 1 and the other is from point 2. Both method have been explored and experiment and both ways work. Personally I prefer doing it from point 1, this give your new Pothos cutting an allowance between the plant and the base of the pot, more rooms for the root growth. If is place in the vase, the base of cutting is longer to absorb the water, but eventually the vine below the node will wilt depending on the amount of water given.

For new cutting, have at least 2 leaves, but I wouldn't suggest anything more then 3. Reason to be, having more leaves at the new cutting will boost the new house plant evaporation rate. The root system is not establish thus the water intake will be lesser then the water output and this will put risk to the new plant.

Put your new cutting into the vase, normally within a week roots will start to grow from the node or an extension of root from the existing root.

Check out my other post for more Pothos information.

No comments:

Post a Comment